3. Introducing People to One Another
Read the two dialogues below. Pay attention to the expressions used in situations where a person introduces people to one another. The first dialogue occurs in a formal situation while the second occurs in an informal one.
Dialogue (formal)
Dr Preeta Rao and Mr Salil Mohammad meet for the first time at the workplace of a common friend, Mrs Padma Padamsee.)
Mrs Padamsee : Dr Rao, I'd like to introduce you to Mr Salil Mohammad. Mr Mohammad is our company secretary. Mr Mohammad, please meet Di Preeta Rao. Dr Rao is an educational advisor with the UNICEF.
Dr Rao (shaking hands): How d'you do, Mr Mohammad? I'm
happy to meet you.
Mr Mohammad: Thank you, Dr Rao. This is indeed a pleasure.
Mrs Padamsee has spoken to me about the fine work that you are doing among children in government schools.
Dialogue (informal)
(Kriika introduces her sister Alka to her classmate John.)
Kika John, this is my sister, Alka. She's an editor wie and Times of India. Alka, meet John. He's my classmate and captain of the college basketball team.
John
Alka
Hi, Alka! Nice meeting you.
Hello, John. It's nice meeting you too. I used to know your cousin Stella at the K. N. Degree College.
Exercise 1
Look at some expressions used in formal and in informal situations to introduce two persons to each other and those that they can use to respond. Read each item and repeat it filling in a name of your choice.
- I'd like to introduce you to
- Please meet
- This is
4.
., meet
- I'm happy to meet you.
- This is indeed a pleasure.
- Nice meeting you.
Comments