Skip to main content

FY BCOM SEM -I SEC_Advanced Communication Skills in English-I Dialogue Writing: Making Request and asking for Directions

 1. Mr Joseph has just arrived in Guntur and asks a traffic policeman for directions to a hotel where his office has made arrangements for his stay.

Mr Joseph: Good morning, officer.

Traffic Policeman: Good morning, sir. How can I help you?

Mr Joseph: I have just arrived in Guntur, and I am looking for a hotel where my office has made arrangements for my stay.

Traffic Policeman: Certainly, sir. Do you know the name of the hotel?

Mr Joseph: Yes. It is the Hotel Grand Central.

Traffic Policeman: Oh, yes. It is about three kilometres from here.

Mr Joseph: Could you please tell me how to get there?

Traffic Policeman: Certainly. Go straight along this road for about one kilometre. Then take the second left at the traffic signal.

Mr Joseph: The second left at the traffic signal. Is that correct?

Traffic Policeman: Yes, sir. After taking the left, continue straight for about two kilometres. You will see the hotel on your right.

Mr Joseph: Is it easy to identify?

Traffic Policeman: Yes. It is a large building with a blue signboard. It is opposite the City Shopping Complex.

Mr Joseph: That is very helpful. Is there any landmark I should look for before reaching the hotel?

Traffic Policeman: Yes. You will pass the railway station on your left. The hotel is a little ahead of it.

Mr Joseph: I see. Thank you very much for your help, officer.

Traffic Policeman: You are most welcome, sir. Have a pleasant stay in Guntur.

Mr Joseph: Thank you. Have a good day.

Traffic Policeman: You too, sir.


2. Chandra requests her neighbour, Madhu, to teach her to bake a cake.

Chandra: Good afternoon, Madhu. Are you free for a few minutes?

Madhu: Good afternoon, Chandra. Yes, I am free. What happened?

Chandra: I wanted to ask you for a small favour.

Madhu: Of course. What can I do for you?

Chandra: I have always wanted to learn how to bake a cake. I know that you are very good at baking.

Madhu: Thank you. I would be happy to teach you.

Chandra: Really? That would be wonderful. Could you please teach me how to bake a simple cake?

Madhu: Certainly. We can start with a basic vanilla cake.

Chandra: That sounds great. What ingredients will we need?

Madhu: We will need flour, sugar, butter, milk, baking powder, vanilla essence and a few other ingredients.

Chandra: Should I bring all the ingredients?

Madhu: You can bring the ingredients you have at home. I will arrange the rest.

Chandra: Thank you so much. When can we start?

Madhu: How about Sunday afternoon? I will be free then.

Chandra: Sunday afternoon is perfect for me. What time should I come?

Madhu: Come around four o'clock. We can prepare everything together.

Chandra: Great! Please guide me through each step because I am a complete beginner.

Madhu: Don't worry. I will explain everything carefully. We will also learn how to set the oven temperature and check whether the cake is properly baked.

Chandra: That is very kind of you. Thank you for helping me.

Madhu: You are most welcome. I am sure you will enjoy baking.

Chandra: I am really looking forward to it. See you on Sunday!

Madhu: See you on Sunday. Don't forget to bring your apron!

Chandra: I won't. Thank you again!


3. Priya goes to the head of her department with a request for a day's leave.

Priya: Good morning, Ma'am. May I come in?

Head of Department: Good morning, Priya. Yes, please come in. What can I do for you?

Priya: I would like to request a day's leave.

Head of Department: I see. When do you need the leave?

Priya: I need leave for tomorrow, Ma'am.

Head of Department: May I know the reason for your leave?

Priya: Yes, Ma'am. I have to attend an important family function, and my presence is necessary.

Head of Department: Have you completed your academic work for the day?

Priya: Yes, Ma'am. I have completed the work assigned to me. I will also make sure that I do not miss any important academic work.

Head of Department: What about your classes?

Priya: I have already informed my colleague about the lessons planned for tomorrow. I will also collect the notes and instructions after I return.

Head of Department: That is good. You should make sure that your absence does not affect your academic responsibilities.

Priya: Certainly, Ma'am. I understand.

Head of Department: All right. You may take leave for one day.

Priya: Thank you very much, Ma'am. I really appreciate your consideration.

Head of Department: You are welcome. Make sure you return the following day.

Priya: Yes, Ma'am. I will. Thank you.

Head of Department: All right. You may go now.

Priya: Thank you, Ma'am. Have a nice day.

Head of Department: You too, Priya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SY BCOM/ BSc MCQS

 Action Will Be Taken by Heinrich Böll 1. **Why did the narrator interview for a job at Alfred Wunsiedel's factory?**      a) He was interested in the work.      b) He needed a job desperately.      c) He was encouraged by a friend.      d) He was curious about the factory.      **Answer:** b) He needed a job desperately. 2. **Why did the narrator suspect the factory?**      a) It was unusually quiet.      b) The workers seemed too happy.      c) There were too many rules.      d) The building looked old.      **Answer:** b) The workers seemed too happy. 3. **Why did the company give the candidates breakfast?**      a) To boost their energy.      b) To make them feel valued.      c) To test their reaction to kindness. ...

Understanding of the Story: Assertive Skills

Assertive Skills  Verger by Somerset Maugham Understanding the story Answer the following questions. Later you may discuss your answers in the class 1. Who is Albert Edward? Albert Edward is the verger (caretaker) of St. Peter's Church. 2. How long has he been working at his job? He has been working at his job for sixteen years. 3. What is his attitude to the new vicar? Albert Edward initially seems apprehensive and resentful towards the new vicar's suggestion of resignation due to his lack of education. 4. What problem does Albert face in his career? The problem Albert faces in his career is that he is asked to resign from his position as verger because he is illiterate and unable to write his name. 5. How does he face the critical situation that he no longer has a job?  Albert faces the critical situation of losing his job by deciding to start his own successful business. 6. How does he set up a new business and prosper in it? He sets up a tobacco shop and prospers in it by ...

BCA/BBA Sem-1 Business Communication Short Question Answer of Unit : 1

  BCA Sem-1 Business Communication  Short Question Answer 1. Define Communication Skills/ Process Ans: Communication is a Latin Word derived from 'Communicare' Meaning sharing ideas, opinions, information and Feelings between two or more than two participants trough proper channel and get a feedback. 2. What are the elements of Communication skills? Ans: There are total 7 elements of communication skills as follows: 1. Sender 2. Encode 3. Message 4. Channel 5. Decode 6. Receiver 7. Feedback 3. What is Interpersonal Communication? Ans: Communication happens between two people is known as interpersonal communication for i.e. A friend talking with another friend. 4. What is Extra-personal Communication Skills? Communication that takes place with human entities and non-human entities as well , it is called to be extra personal communication. 5. What is Intrapersonal Communication Skills? Intrapersonal skills are  a form of self-communication because it rel...